Lori Burkhart is Editor-in-Chief of Public Utilities Fortnightly.
The Actual Day at the Maryland Public Service Commission was a big deal for many reasons. It marked, in a sense, the closing of the pandemic for the PUF team, who traveled to the Commission offices in Baltimore for the first time since the pandemic start, to meet with, yes, actual people. The PUF team had such a warm welcome on the upper floors of the William Donald Schaefer building, the fourth tallest building in that iconic city, which houses the Commission.
The PUF team never knows what it will discover, in this case, the profound, that Maryland punches well above its weight, with an expansive grid modernization portfolio, ambitious electric vehicle and charging programs, utility-scale batteries deployed as grid assets, and more, backed up by a diverse renewable generation portfolio and nuclear power at the Calvert Cliffs plant. Then there is the nugget of interest, especially to the PUF team member born in Baltimore, that the Commission regulates the marine pilots who jump on and off the big ships on the Chesapeake Bay, and they are required to wear shirts and ties.
All this is made possible by the Commission Staff of some one hundred and fifty, required by statute to be located in Baltimore, so legislative business entails a drive to Annapolis. Five Commissioners lead this accomplished Staff, and they all have a lot to say about what makes Maryland special and unique.
- Chair Jason Stanek
- Commissioner Mindy Herman
- Commissioner Odogwu Obi Linton
- Commissioner Anthony O'Donnell
- Commissioner Michael Richard
- Senior Advisor to Chair Stanek - Joey Chen
- Director of Legislative Affairs Lisa Smith
- Executive Secretary Andrew Johnston
- Chief Public Utility Law Judge Ryan "Chuck" McLean
- Director of Consumer Affairs Division Stephanie Bolton
- Associate General Counsel Deirdre Lynch
- Assistant Executive Director (Technical Staff) Matthew Phillips
- Chief Engineer (Technical Staff) John Borkoski
- Director of Electricity Division (Technical Staff) Drew McAuliffe
- Director of Transportation Division (Technical Staff) Christopher Koermer
- Director of Telecommunications, Gas and Water Division (Technical Staff) Benjamin Baker